1)What is International Roaming?
International roaming is a service that enables mobile users to make and receive voice calls or text messages while visiting another country. Roaming service extends the operator’s coverage to allow usage of the home operator’s mobile number and network services within a foreign country. Traveling abroad with Vi’s best international roaming plan is effortless as Vi offers customized plans based on your travel destination and the duration of your trip.
2)Can I use my phone in a foreign country, if I do not buy a pack?
You can use your phone in a foreign country, without an International Roaming pack, as long as you have activated the International Roaming service on your mobile. Using an International Roaming pack you can avoid unexpected bills as you will be charged as per the standard rates. Browse and choose the best international roaming plan to stay connected.
Here is how to activate International Roaming:
For prepaid customers from Kolkata, West Bengal, Orissa & Bihar circles, International Roaming Services need to be activated before traveling by sendingACT IRas SMS to144(toll-free).
For Prepaid customers from all other circles, the International Roaming service is pre-activated.
Postpaid users need to activate the International Roaming service before leaving the country.
3)I am a postpaid user, how am I protected against high bills on International Roaming?
Your bill depends on how and how much you use your phone abroad. If you have not taken any International Roaming plan and use your phone normally as you do in India, there is a high chance of you getting a very high bill. It is, therefore, advisable to use your phone on International Roaming only with a pack. You can now safeguard yourself from high bills by choosing from the best international roaming plans.
However, we have some safety measures in place to prevent high bills for any unconscious usage.
- RoamSafe: To safeguard you from accidental data usage in a foreign country, thereby resulting in high data charges, your mobile internet will be kept deactivated, if you travel without a pack or if you travel to a country where our packs are not applicable. If you still wish to use the internet on your mobile, at the applicable standard roaming rates you can send the SMS ACT IRDATA to 199. This service will remain active for 7 Days and gets automatically deactivated after 7 Days. You can renew this service after every 7 Days by sending the SMS ACT IRDATA to 199.
- Always on: For pack users, we have an additional safeguard with the ‘Always-On’ feature to protect them from high International Roaming Charges for any usage after pack expiry. For eg, if you have taken a 10-day pack and you continue to use your phone on International Roaming even after the 10 days are over (you will get an intimation upon your pack expiry), you just get charged for the Daily Roaming pack @ Rs 749 and your entire usage is treated as pack usage, thereby saving you from any high bill basis standard rates.
- Special Rates post Pack Quota: This is another safeguard for the pack users. If you finish your pack quota, you get special rates (>95% discount vs standard rates) for usage on International Roaming >> Rs3/min for incoming and outgoing local calls & calls back to India; Rs1/MB for data usage & Re1/SMS.
However, we strictly advise NOT to use mobile internet abroad without an International Roaming recharge. If you decide not to take a pack, use a local wi-fi.
Once the data service has been made active, it will remain ON unless a customer specifically deactivates the data service again.
To deactivate data service again, send the SMS: CAN IRDATA to 199
Lastly, we would recommend that you should always purchase an International Roaming pack for using your phone in a foreign country. Get worry-free with a pack, without worrying about any high bills. Browse from the best international roaming plans and select a pack that matches your travel requirements.
4)How can I use my Vi mobile in a foreign country i.e. on International Roaming?
- To use your Vi mobile in a foreign country, you need to activate the International Roaming service on your mobile before you leave India
- International Roaming service allows you to use your phone in a foreign country. However, all the usage is charged as per applicable standard International Roaming rates. These rates differ from country to country. Given below is the range for the rates for various types of usage
o Incoming Calls: Rs 30/min to Rs 315/min
o Outgoing Calls: Rs 21/min to Rs 399/min
o Data Usage: Rs 563/MB to Rs 1536/MB
o Outgoing SMS: Rs 15/SMS to Rs25/SMS
- To use your phone freely in a foreign country without worrying about high bills, it is advisable to purchase an International Roaming Pack. With the best international roaming plan, you can get Unlimited Free Data & Calls in most of the popular countries. Our best international roaming plans cover more than 100 countries and we have packs to suit all kinds of trips – short stays or longer holidays abroad.
- If you plan to purchase an International Roaming pack, then you do not need to activate the International Roaming service separately.
To activate International Roaming Service or Pack, you can simply go to the International Roaming section on theVi app or our websitewww.myvi.in for more details mentioned below.
5)Can I use the same handset & SIM while traveling outside India?
Yes, you can use the same handset & SIM in any foreign country. Only if you are using a very old handset model or a non-4G handset, which may not be compatible with the available networks in some of the countries, you may need to change your handset. Eg. many countries have only 4G networks, so your handset should be 4G compatible to be used in that country.
6)What happens after my pack expires?
Vi Prepaid customers will be charged at standard roaming rates once the international roaming plan expires.
Vi Postpaid customers have superior benefits on the pack as all our postpaid Roaming Packs come with the ‘Always-On’ feature. This feature remains active on your number and protects you from high international roaming charges when you use your mobile number for making or receiving calls or while using your mobile internet. This service will remain active even after you return to India but No charges would be incurred when in India. The “Always On” feature has a validity of 3 years once it gets activated.
7)10 Digit customer care number?
Calls from abroad back to India on the 10 Digit Customer Care number are toll-free and you will not be charged for the calls but do note that since it is an Outgoing call, you will be charged Rs.99 if you are a prepaid subscriber without any International Roaming Pack or charged for Always-On for that day.
8)How do I select Network when I reach another country?
You should be able to automatically connect to our Partner Networks whilst roaming. Should you face any connectivity issues, please do a manual selection through the Handset Settings on your mobile, ensure your Data Roaming is switched On.
9)How do I know which operator to select whilst roaming?
Once in the Roaming Location, you will be automatically connected to our Partner Network if you have taken the International Roaming Service or an International Roaming Plan. In case you need to manually select the Network, Please refer to our Website with the list of Operators you can connect to.
10)How to make voice calls once I reach another country?
To make voice calls from overseas, dial the number with the area code as you would do when in India. To call another country, dial + with the country code followed by the phone number.
For example, to call someone in India while traveling abroad, just add India’s country code +91 as a prefix and enter the number i.e. +9198110XXXXX
11)Can I use my free data quota on my Postpaid Plan or Prepaid Plan on International Roaming?
No, any in-built data quota on yourpostpaid plansorprepaid plans is not valid for usage outside of India. For International Roaming, you need to buy separate roaming packs. Vi offers a variety of best international roaming plans with validity ranging from 1-day for temporary usage to 30-days for longer trips.
11)Will I be charged for incoming messages while on International Roaming?
NO. Incoming SMS on International Roaming is not charged. However, incoming calls are chargeable on International Roaming.
For more queries,click here.
13)I’m unable to receive calls whilst roaming abroad
Do make sure Call Forwarding is disabled (If, not required).
14)I’m unable to receive SMS whilst roaming abroad
Once connected to the Network, you will be able to send or receive SMS seamlessly. In case you are unable to receive SMS; do restart your handset as it will enable you to connect with the Partner Network.
15)I’m unable to use Data Services or connect to 4G whilst Roaming?
Check your Handset Settings; international Data Roaming should be enabled.
Also, check for 3G and 4G settings on your Mobile Data option, which should be enabled to connect to Data services at your roaming location
16)If I have not taken an International Roaming pack can I use mobile internet?
Our in-built feature called RoamSafe safeguards you from accidental data usage in a foreign country, thereby resulting in high data charges. Your mobile internet will be kept deactivated, if you travel without a pack or if you travel to a country where our packs are not applicable. If you still wish to use the internet on your mobile, at the applicable standard roaming rates, you can send the SMSACT IRDATAto199.This service will remain active for 7 Daysand gets automatically deactivated after 7 Days. You can renew this service afterevery7 Days by sending the SMS ACT IRDATA to 199.
However, we strictly advise NOT to use mobile internet abroad without an international pack. Either use a local Wi-Fi or choose a pack from the best international roaming plans available for always staying connected.
Once the data service has been made active, it will remain ON unless a customer specifically deactivates the data service again. To deactivate the data service (or to re-activate RoamSafe), send the SMS:CAN IRDATAto199.
17)When does my International Roaming Pack expire?
Your pack will expire at 00:59:59 Hrs IST as per the validity of the pack that you’ve taken. You may refer to the International Roaming Tab on My ViApp orwww.myvi.into view the Active International Roaming Pack/Service on your Mobile number.
18)How do I check the Data Quota left on my International Roaming Pack?
You can check the data quota of your International Roaming Pack on My ViApp orwww.myvi.in
19)Tips on optimizing your mobile internet usage?
If you have online applications on your device, remember that data usage occurs throughout the day; hence usage will be billed accordingly.
Smart devices tend to continuously access data networks and automatically download some updates for certain applications like Weather, Stock/News alerts, social networking sites (Twitter, Facebook), and emails. Hence it is recommended, you disable data on your handset to avoid unnecessary charges by Switching off the settings.
Alternatively, check your handset menu to switch off data settings or auto-updates. It is advisable to log out properly before terminating a surfing session thus ensuring unnecessary data transfer is avoided.